Child support

Child Support Attorney

In Arkansas, Child Support is paid through the Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE). The paying parent is responsible for any additional fees associated with OCSE. Child Support typically lasts until the child is 18 or until the time they should have graduated high school (whichever comes later). 

Child Support amounts are calculated based on Arkansas Administrative Order 10. Even though these amounts are calculated using a chart, it’s important to have a good child support attorney to make sure that all factors and monetary figures are being accurately considered and applied. In Arkansas, “income” has a broad definition and includes more than just your paychecks.

If you’re seeking child support or modifications to a current child support agreement, you need a good lawyer to help find “hidden income” or ask for an upward or downward deviation. There aren’t any magic words that will get you the correct support amount, but a good attorney that knows how to find income and present the situation in the best light is your best bet. 

Frequent Questions 

Answered common questions about child support.

What should child support cover?

Child support payments are supposed to cover a kid’s basic living necessities like food, home, clothes, school (not college), necessary medical costs, and recreation (within reason). 

If a parent loses their job or gets a new one, does the amount of support change?

No, not automatically. Courts don’t monitor what’s going on in the parents’ or child’s lives. If you feel that a situation calls for adjusting the support arrangement, you’ll have to file with the court.

What if someone is refusing to pay their child support payments?

This kind of behavior can have some major legal consequences. Failure to pay child support can result in a contempt of court order or even criminal charges. Report this to the court as soon as possible. The parent will still be held liable for any missed or unpaid payments. You may be able to request services from a child support collection agency – they may be able to identify the non-paying party and collect the payments for you. 

What can I do if the other parent is using my child support payments on themselves?

You should report this to the court immediately. Since child support is intended only for the benefit of the child, this kind of activity can result in loss of custodial or visitation rights or even lower the child support payments. 

Need Help with child support?


109 W South Street

Benton, AR 72015